You can attain a better product in less time by spending less money and using less custom design during the start-up stage.
1. The best things in life may be free, but in business money is the most valuable “thing”, and time equals money.
2. It is a misconception that custom design is the primary end goal of the start-up process. Thinking this way will drain your resources and distract attention from other key elements in website start-up.
3. If you pour money into custom theme design in the start up stage you will not be saving money in the future. The opposite is true. Actually with more money spent on the creation of custom code your long term maintenance costs and switching costs will be greater.
4. Paying large sums of money to your website designer will not guarantee a more effective design or a more aesthetic appearance to the site than if you had paid under a hundred dollars. Actually the ideal design for you may be one of the cheapest.
5. Generally with WordPress it’s very simple to go from one design to another. That’s very important, because most of the successful companies refresh their website looks every few years. In many cases it’s not cost efficient to spend thousands on a start up design project, if you know ahead of time that this project may require redesign within next few years.